Saturday, December 3, 2011

Visting v. Residing, Don't Sell Your House Just Yet

There is a show on HGTV called House Hunters International.  While I find this show very fascinating, at times it can be painful to watch.  Some people have very legitimate reasons to move to another country (jobs, family, etc.).  But when I see people with comfortable lives and have absolutely no reason to move look for houses in some "island paradise," I bury my face in my hands.  "You don't have enough money!" "That country is dangerous!"  "You are going to get so bored!"  These are just a few thoughts that go through my mind as I watch.  Then I started thinking about how many times I have seen people look bewildered when they meet somebody who has moved from Hawaii or California.  It's like people think that living in these places is an endless vacation.  Let me help those who may not understand why I think staying put may be your best option.

Al places will lose their. novelty.  Think of going on vacation as being on a honeymoon.  It is fun and exciting for a week or so.  But living there is like being married.  While you may love the place, the beaches, shops, and sights will turn ordinary after awhile.  And while I do like warm weather, seeing the same season year round would get boring.

Do you really want to be trapped on an island?  Most Americans love their roadtrips.  You can kiss those goodbye if you move to an island.  You are cut off from the rest of the world.You will see those same sights over and over.  On top of that, everything has to be shipped in and will cost you a fortune.  If you need proof of this, just check out the gas prices in Hawaii.

Do you really want to blow your life savings?  I think people really underestimate just how expensive it is to relocate.  People also forget they will not have the same income they had back home.  I see this on HHI all the time.  People have a budget and then are disappointed with what they can afford.  My word of advice?  Leave your 401k intact.

Do you really want to lose your rights?  I have booked car reservations for four years now.  I continue to be amazed at how many people think the US has jurisdiction over the whole world.  Once you leave the US, all those awesome rights that our troops fought for you to have go bye bye.  You move to England?  Get ready to pay 20% VAT on almost everything.  You move to China?  Don't say anything bad about the Communists unless you want jailtime.  Move to Singapore?  Kiss your car goodbye (along with your chewing gum) because the government makes cars darn near impossible to afford.

I have traveled enough to know that I love where I live.  I have freedom, cost of living is low, people are friendly, and the government, while not perfect, is for the most part fair.  I don't live in a tourist haven and that is perfectly okay with me.  I am perfectly content knowing that somewhere different and exciting is just a plane ride (or drive) away.

Here is to Home Sweet home,

Culture Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment