Saturday, November 19, 2011

Why is Confrontation So Tough for me?

I have a confession to make.  I HATE confrontation.  I would rather give birth without drugs than have a conflict with someone (and yes, I have given birth without drugs).  I just want everybody to be happy.  But there is one thing demand and that is respect.  The second somebody chooses to disrespect me, I have no choice but to get in their face.  But it is not easy for me.  Everytime I have to deal with a disrespectful person, my heart starts racing and my voice shakes.  When it comes to fight or flight, flight is definitely my preference.  But letting a bully think they are in the right is not cool with me.

My husband sometimes tries to handle my conflicts for me.  I admit, I am a little jealous at times how easily he can lecture somebody without losing his cool and still get his point across.  But I know it is not fair to him or myself to let him do all the work.  Which leaves me with only one option.  Learn how to stand up for myself.

So how on earth do I learn how to do this?  Do I just ask people to randomly call me and chew me out so I can practice responding?  Do I run for a political office so I can see my character smeared by an opponent?  All I know is that I usually don't have problems with words.  I know exactly what I want to say.  It is just getting over that physiological reaction of my heart pounding and my voice shaking.  I'm really hoping I can figure this out because this is really annoying me.

Still living life despite this,

Culture Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment