Monday, November 21, 2011

TLC's All American Muslim: My Review

When I saw the previews for this show, I was very interested.  I like to see a different perspective of Muslims than what the news media likes to portray; angry people who threaten to blow you up if you do anything that may threaten their beliefs.  I have known some good Muslims in my lifetime and I was curious to see how this show would portray them.

When this show first aired, I'll admit, I was a little disappointed.  Seeing ladies not in their hijab and saying the way they look does not make them any less of a Muslim made me cringe.  The show does confirm one thing I already knew.  That is, there are different levels of devotion in Islam just like there is in any other religion.  For me, it is still hard to see people lukewarm about their faith.  I believe that if you are going to go through the trouble of following a religion, you should do it wholeheartedly.  If you are going to be a bad representative of your faith, then what is the point?

But despite this, I do find the different lifestyles interesting.  I enjoyed seeing how the football team practiced at night to avoid breaking their Ramadan fast (although for a religious guy, that coach sure had a potty mouth).  I like to see the clashes between the old school parents and the younger kids.  I found it disturbing that there has to be such a huge police presence at the mosque just because people were going to worship during Ramadan.  I also really liked how they discussed the challenges of fasting.

There were a couple of things from last night's episode (Episode 2) that really bugged me, though.  I admire the one lady for wanting to wear the hijab again, but I question her motives.  I got the impression she was putting on the hijab because she was trying to score points with God so she could get pregnant.  But looking at the shape she and her husband were in, I think her woes were more health related than faith related.  The other thing that has REALLY bugged me from the beginning is the "conversion" of Jeff.  This guy was allegedly an Irish Catholic and decided to "convert" so he could marry his Muslim girlfriend.  I knew immediately this guy was not serious about his current faith or Islam.  He just wanted to follow the rules so he could get married.  And seeing how their wedding did not even remotely resemble a true Islamic wedding was very telling.  He acted like a spoiled brat when he tried to fast for Ramadan.  He was so disrespectful to the family when they tried to explain why they fast.  I hate to say it, but I don't see that marriage lasting very long if he does not get his act together.

Despite my gripes, I still will continue watching this show because, like my blog title implies, I love to observe other cultures.  We can learn so much from other people's beliefs and in return, reflect on our own beliefs.  Come Lent, I will not be whining about fasting, that is for sure.

To open religious discussion,

Culture Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment