Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Lockout is over! Why am I not more excited?

Today I was on Yahoo and saw a video clip from an Australian rules football game.  The guy makes an absolutely amazing catch by jumping on the other guy's shoulders.  I was reallly impressed.  But then I went and read the comments.  The comments were mostly rude and ignorant people saying that these guys would never make it in the NFL and who gives a flip about Australian football.  This got me thinking.  Yes, I love football as much as the next American.  Yes, I pay way too much for channels so I can zone out on Saturdays, Sundays, and some Thursdays.  But one thing I do not tolerate well in intolerance and closed mindedness.  As much as I love football, I do not limit my interests to just football.  I was watching the women's World Cup long before Abby Wambach made the miracle score against Brazil.  I even go to ESPN3 and watch sports that most Americans don't even know exist, like rugby and lacrosse.  Do I know the rules very well?  Not really, but I enjoy seeing the athleticism and the heart that these athletes put into their sport.  I do, however, know how to explain offsides in soccer, thank you very much.

My problem with football is that it is so ingrained into American culture that people put on their blinders and think it is the only sport that is worth watching.  And what is even sadder, a lot of these same people can't even explain why the ball is normally punted on fourth down.  But yet these people think they can leave comments on an article about how their sport is superior to every other sport in the world.  Pathetic.

So now that the lockout is over, by all means, go out and support your favorite team.  But don't be limited to just football.  Remember, everybody else in the world thinks football is a sport where you kick the ball into a net.  Be adventurous.  You may find it's a whole other world out there.

Here's to telling that idiot in the bar that Ohio State will not win a title this year.

Live life to the fullest,

Culture Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment