Monday, June 20, 2011

Why Miss USA SUCKS!!! From a pageant girl.

I hate to admit it, I love pageants.  I remember getting so excited as a little girl every time one would come on TV.  I tried my hand at a few in high school, only to find out they were much tougher than they looked on TV.  And deep down, I still dream of running for Mrs. Oklahoma one day.  Probably once I'm done having kids.  I have always admired the girls' ability to stay poised under immense pressure.

Last night was the Miss USA pageant, a pageant that used to stir a lot of excitement in me.  I have not watched the pageant in years and the only reason I did was because my husband switched  to it.  I think he thought I wanted to watch it.  I was quickly reminded why I have shunned this pageant for so many years.  Honestly, it is more a big commercial for Mr. Trump's buddies than anything.  Ads, ads, and oh, wait, we have to select the top eight.  Okay, continue with the ads.

Let's talk about the judging panel.  Talk about the most unqualified bunch of people.  They are a far cry from the talent agents and dance instructors who judged pageants of old.  Are you trying to tell me that Tyson Chandler is qualified to tell if a girl is poised or not?  Or a Real Housewives of Wherever person?  I think those housewife girls (not women) are the antithesis of poise.  This probably explains the questionable winners year after year.  The most poised and confident girl out there, Miss Texas, got fourtth.  While Alabama and Tennessee placed higher while bumbling through their questions.  Personally, I don't think the winner's question was that hard.  I heard the medical marijuana question back in high school way back when Miss Hawaii won Miss USA and Miss Universe.  I have found in numerous pageants everywhere, the winner is usually the one who gets the easiest question.

Oh, and what was up with the American Idol like selection of finalists?  "Group number one, you are moving on, group number two, sorry."  That totally sucked.  Go back to saying who goes on one by one.

When you have a joke of a format like this, it about guarantees that a Miss USA will NEVER win Miss Universe ever again.  Countries in Latin America are obsessed with pageants and know how to pick a winner.  Year after year, Miss USA looks like a toddler next to women in Miss Universe.  Can we forget that Miss USA fell two years in a row?  Just turn to Univision and see how obsessed they are.  Nuestra Belleza Latina (Our Latin Beauty) is a huge hit.  Venezuela churns out winners year after year.  I guess Trump cares more about ratings than creating a winner.

I have always believed that real talent competitions do not care whether they get TV ratings or not.  The best pageants will never see the light of day.  Just like the best singing competitions are the ones not on television.  What? You thought American Idol was a real singing competition?  HAHAHAHA!!!

Live life to the fullest,

Culture girl

No comments:

Post a Comment